06 July, 2017

READING DIVERSE: LGBTQIA+ recommendations



“All of the moments where I was made to feel like an outsider in a group that was supposed to have room for me added up and left me feeling so much shame.” 

Gabby Rivera, Juliet Takes a Breath

Today I will not be talking about single book and what it has taught me. Instead I will talk about nine books that got on my radar recently and that most definitely should be on yours too. 


  • OF FIRE AND STARS by Audrey Coulthurst
YA Fantasy where princess falls in love with a sister of the prince aka another princess. For me the fact that this book exists is already mind blowing. We definitely need more books like this! If you are a fan of fantasy this is hands down a book to go to! 

  • IDA by Alison Evans
What this book sometimes lacks in story more than makes up in uniqueness. There is ultimately no straight characters in this book. Oh and have I already told you it is about dimensional travelling?

  • JULIET TAKES A BREATH by Gabby Rivera
My favorite book right now. I am yet to find anything that is even close to what I experienced while reading this book. It is about latino lesbian girl who goes to the world to discover herself. Big chunk of this book already deals with feminism today and racism. And if that was not mind blowing enough this book also addresses parents not wanting to accept their children's identities. 

  • WE ARE OKAY by Nina LaCour
Best book ever dealing with grief, loneliness and isolation. It touched me personally more than ever book has in the past. Plus it deals with dorm life. 

  • EVERY HEART A DOORWAY by Seanan McGuire
Best book ever dealing with grief, loneliness and isolation. It touched me personally more than ever book has in the past. Plus it deals with dorm life. 

  • CAPTIVE PRINCE by C.S. Pacat
This is something I still need to get to but I heard this book has very good gay characters. Tho be advised there are trigger warnings in this trilogy.

  • WILD BEAUTY by Anna-Marie McLemore
My most anticipated new release this year! I heard this book is ultimatly a mixture of lgbtqia+ and Uprooted. Can it get even better? 

  • WE ARE THE ANTS by Shaun David Hutchinson
What else can I say but that this book broke me. It deals with heavy bullying and abusive relationships. It is a must to read but prepare yourself before going into it, your heart will be broken, I promise you.

  • QUEENS OF GEEK by Jen Wilde
New release that has it all. If you are a fan of contemporary that makes you smile and laugh this is something you should really read. I cannot wait to get my own hands on it soon too!



These are of course just a few books that I have been excited about recently but I believe even the most pickiest reader would find at least one they will love. See you next time!




Have you read any of the featured books? Have it changed the way you see things? More LGBTQIA+ recommendations?



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment