19 February, 2016

REVIEW: THE ELITE by Kiera Cass

Title: The Elite
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #2
Genres: YA, Science Fiction, Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Physical copy
Pages: 336

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: The Selection began with thirty-five girls.Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?
America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

LAURA'S REVIEW

Since I really liked The Selection my expectations were quite high. As soon as I finished The Selection I started The Elite right away, no spoilers, no time to look up reviews, nothing. However the summary already reveals something that puts me off every time... love triangles *sigh*


THE WORLD: Same as in the first book.

THE CHARACTERS: I did not like this book as much as the first one although there are a few shocking or funny moments that made it more fast-paced. First, Maxon plays a much more major role than in The Selection, here we get to know him more and more about his decisions which are understandable but I hated some of those decisions because ugh why Maxon? Be patient! On the other hand, America is the most annoying character ever in this book! She goes from one end of the spectrum to the other in 0.1 milliseconds and by now you probably know why... yes, she just cannot decide who she likes: "now I like Maxon but wait no I like Aspen, oh but Maxon but Aspen" and so on and so on. America you should learn to sort out your priorities like seriously, atte: everyone. The other kind of major character is Aspen, America's first love, and since I blame America for not choosing I will also blame Aspen for being a stubborn cry baby who doesn't want to get off the way.

LOVE: This book reminds me a bit of the Twilight series in that sense... there is a stubborn boy who just doesn't give up and instead of coming across as a "fighter" who never gives up is just as annoying as those flies you can't get rid of no matter how hard you try.

PLUS: All these things were, in my opinion, the drawbacks of the book but I must say the other minor characters made it funnier and served as breaks from all the Maxon/America/Aspen drama.
Finally, what I liked the most was getting to know more about the history of Illéa, the nation where all the story takes place (located in North America) and how it became a separate nation/country.

MINUS: All the mentioned above... annoying characters give me a headache.

OVERALL: 3.5 stars and of course I recommend to read this book to all people who want to finish The Selection series, it is not unbearable so just breath, read it and off to The One you go! I can already tell you that The One is much much better than this one so there's no reason to not finish the series (unless you didn't even like the first one).




 
HANNAHCASSIE'S REVIEW
 
Okay so I have read The Selection only recently and have been waiting for a copy of The Elite to be finally free in my local library forever. Guess what I did when I finally received an email? Yes. I just went there and grabbed it. It is MINE now!
 

THE WORLD:So we are back to Illea. Yes, the weird country where castes exist and where inequality is just well...normal. But do we actually get to see that? Nope. We are locked in the same castle as we were in the first book. Shame really, I know Illea but if you asked me what it is I would probably tell you all about the castle. Seems like the castle is Illea so far.

THE CHARACTERS: Now, I agree with Laura so so much! At some I even texted her just to make sure nobody switched the book and put wrong cover on. I mean please explain to me how on earth a character can go from being average intelligent to very very lacking in any kind of intelligence in like a month? America's stupidity is just beyond me. It's like people are dying and starving and rebels happening but the center of universe is who America likes better - Maxon or Aspen. I'm literary shaking my hands up in the sky. Okay, so let's look at Maxon next. I am sorry but I am completely anti-Maxon at this point. He was just a decoration in The Selection but in this book he is a whinny child who wants attention. Pathetic just pathetic. And that leaves us to Aspen. I hated him in the first book and I still hate him now, but at this point I hate him the least from the trio. He is stupid I give you that but who is not stupid in the castle? Ridiculous.

Then there is a bunch of other characters who are not worth mentioning but are alright. I guess they kinda make this book bearable. Kinda. 

LOVE: I don't even want to talk about it. I wish the trio would just go and finally die instead of making me feel like half my brain leaked while reading this book.

PLUS: Not sure. Maybe that despite all blah the book is still really fast, I was counting on it being a fast read and was not disappointed.

MINUS: If I knew I would have just skipped to The One. Trust me, you do not miss anything.

OVERALL: Just like Laura I can only give it 3.5 stars but with hopes for it to get better in The One let's roll it to 4. Blah blah blah. This book was srsly meh.



 


What did you guys think of The Elite?