14 December, 2015

REVIEW: SAGA by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Title: SAGA
Author: Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Series: Saga Volumes #1- #5
Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Graphic Novel
Publisher: Image Comics
Source: Physical copies and ebooks
Pages: 808

Add to Goodreads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe.

From bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan, Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.


So I am the kind of person who has never liked comics and has ever only read Sin City. But i have noticed many booktubers read same comics so I went searching for Maus in my library. It was taken. But instead I noticed Saga and I remember Shannon talking about it many times on her channel so I was like alright I might just try it. So I took it home and put it on my shelf. When next day I decided to just scan it a little bit to know what it is about I ended up turning the first page of it to the sex scene. I was like okay...well not for children then. Then I saw the picture of the sex town and was like wow seriously? That was very graphic. So you can imagine with what expectations I actually went into this book, I expected of it to be another Manga aka Hentai type of thing.



First of wall, I am making it one review but I have read all five volumes as well as the newest 31st issue. I am saying this in advance because there might be a few spoilers for those who have not read it all yet!

THE WORLD: Soooo bizarre! It took me more than one issue to grasp it. But basically there is this Land planet like Earth where people with wings live and are referred to as Wings and there is the Moon where people with horns live and are referred to Moonies. Alright, so these Wings and Moonies are at war and over time they managed to get all galaxy involved in there war and take sides. The main sidekick of Wigs is Robot Kingdom. I am saying this because the Robot Prince IV is one of main characters. Anyways, so yeah there is war and there is galaxy and there are Wings and Moonies, there is a Sex planet and many more and all thing is just crazy but when you get to finally understanding it it is actually pretty cool world.

CHARACTERS: There are many so I will just list most important ones:

Alana -  the main Wing character who is in love with the Moonie and has a baby aka hybrid. It is unknown thing so she and Marko have to run from both Wings and Moonies trying to kill them. Well Alana...I am not sure what I think of her. She is rather annoying I must admit, I love her looks tho in later volumes when her hair gets longer. Tho I also must admit, despite me finding her annoying it is weird when she is not present like in issue #31.

Marko -  a Moonie Alana's husband. I guess Marko is alright. I do not particularly care about him much tho. And I never got why he was wearing bandage all over his face when he met the teacher. You can still she the horns...strange.

Hazel - the hybrid child of Alana and Marko. In many volumes she was just a baby so she was just there. But lately she gets a little bit older and I am starting to like it. Oh and she is also a narrator of the comics and a damn good one.

Prince Robot IV - sometimes he is there and sometimes not. But I like him for some reason. These robots really take used to them to, they are like humans but instead of face have like a screen, like old TV screen...creepy. And I am not really sure what happened in the end of volume #5.

Izabel - oh she is the funniest thing in this story! I love her to the bits and I can only wish I ever had a nanny like her! She rocks!

The Will, Lying Cat, Sophie and Gwendolyn - So I have to say Will is hot but his relationship with Stark really crept me out. I hope he will be back soon! Lying cat is absolutely hilarious, I think she is a reason these comics are so awesome! Sophie I also really like, she is so cute and then when she gets all smartie looking with her glasses...if there as a Saga game and I had to pick an avatar for my account I would get Sophie with her glasses :D And finally we get to Gwendolyn...my most hated character! Oh by this one has serious problems...she is basically going after her ex fiance because he does not love her anymore. Yeah exactly. 

LOVE: There are many couples there but what I must say there is also a lot of graphic sex that I am not really liking. I think this story would do just fine without all the orgies. And especially the dragon...what was that? I did not need to see it, I so did not!

PLUS: I am really loving this graphic novel! It is amazing, I love the story, I have no idea what to expect when I turn the next page and I love the characters. It is goood it is soooo goood!

MINUS: The orgies again. And also with the author when he was all opposite of war thing...I was very much rolling my eyes there.


What do you guys think about SAGA?