06 November, 2015

REVIEW: HOLLOW CITY by Ransom Riggs

Title: Hollow City
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #2
Genres: Fantasy, YA, Paranormal, Fiction
Publisher: Quirk Books
Source: Kindle Edition
Pages: 402

Add to GoodReads // Buy on BookDepository

SYNOPSIS: September 3, 1940. Ten peculiar children flee an army of deadly monsters. And only one person can help them—but she’s trapped in the body of a bird.

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. There, they hope to find a cure for their beloved headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. And before Jacob can deliver the peculiar children to safety, he must make an important decision about his love for Emma Bloom. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience.


The second book of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, where do I start? I really liked the idea of peculiar children and although the style of MPHFPC wasn't my cup of tea I enjoyed reading it a lot. I was hoping for a thrilling sequel but... it is not.



THE WORLD: As the summary says... we are now stuck in the past. 1940. WWII in Great Britain. Sometimes the setting changes for a brief time though, a very brief time because the whole story happens in just 3-4 days. An entire book for just 3-4 days of these peculiar children.

CHARACTERS: The main characters are the same since the book starts right after the events of MPHFPC. We have Jacob, Emma, the rest of the peculiar children, Miss Peregrine (more or less) and new Peculiars the children meet on their way to London. The children have only 3 days to get to London with nothing more than a trunk containing a book, The Tales of The Peculiar, and not much more. We also get to meet another ymbryne, Miss Wren, and we get to know more about how Hollows became Wights, which are an evolved version of Hollows that can jump into loops. Honestly I was expecting more of an explanation, it seemed a rather simple one.

LOVE: In this book there is more emphasis on Jacob's relationship with Emma. I did not like it. It seems like they jumped an entire level in matters of a day. This is one of the reasons why I don't like books in which the whole story happens in less than a week, there is no character development because how much can someone grow in 3 days? It makes sense that they're still the same with the same flaws they haven't worked on but it gets on my nerves. I want books with well developed relationships okay? If you put romance in your books make it a good one. Rant over, sorry.

PLUS: The plot twist at the end! I was not expecting that at all. At least the book had a surprise element because between the failing romance and the first 70% of the book I seriously thought I had to give it 2 stars. I barely give 2 stars. Hollow City ended up with 3 stars just because of the plot twist, how sad. Oh, and also the pictures were nice but not as creepy or interesting as the ones in the previous book so I can't really say they were a plus.

MINUS: I don't know why but I didn't get into the book. I was not excited. I was reading the childrens' struggle to get to London without being captured and how much they wanted Miss Peregrine to be with them but I felt nothing. They could've been captured and killed and I wouldn't have been bothered too much because at least something would finally happen in the book... like I said until the last 30% the story dragged a lot and I just couldn't enjoy it! The last part was better at least.

OVERALL: 3 stars. I hope the rest of the readers enjoyed it more, I really do. If you didn't enjoy that much like me I would say that we still have a third book! Because it will be the last book, the wrapping of the story, I seriously do hope it will be better than this one. If the next is good I will regard Hollow City just as "second book syndrome" and recommend the series nonetheless because the idea is great. It has so much potential!


 


What did you guys think about HOLLOW CITY?